About this item
- Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate (LECA)
- Highly stable to both varying pH and EC drains freely and does not hold excess water.
- Provides good oxygen levels around the root.
- Suitable for flood and drain systems, multi-pot and drip feed systems.
- Strong structural integrity means that they are less likely to break and compact, which helps to prevent dripper systems from getting blocked 8-16 mm pebble size range.
Expanded clay pellets (Hydroton) are made by heating the clay to over 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit (1200°C). The process is done in a rotary kiln. As the balls heat up, they fill with bubbles and form into small marble-sized units. While the clay can be used on its own for growing plants, it can also be mixed with soil and other growing media. Hydroton is used widely in hydroponics and aquaponics.